Do You Really Want To Be Famous?

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016

There are a lot of articles that plot the path to fame in terms of industry connections, contracts and writing a hit song. There is, however, another side to the pursuit of fame. Seasoned vocalist, actor and creator of Superior Singing Method, We focus on the inner process when teaching singers about fame.

It Takes Work
“If you tell us you want to be famous,” we would say, ‘Yes, it’s possible for you, and it will take ten times as much work as you think it will’.” We don’t say this to discourage singers, but because acceptance of this reality will help them stay on their path. You are going to have to work harder than anyone you know,” we tell singers when they ask how to become famous. Pursuing fame means you are saying, “I want to work at this 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

“Overnight” Successes Happen Slowly
One of the realities of fame is that it can take a long time. We talk to singers about those who are already successful because we want them to expect that it can take a decade of hard work to reach the level of mastery and success so many performers dream of.

Love The Training Side
Do you love singing? Yes? Then you’ll do it every day. Searching for fame can be a real task master, if you don’t love the thing that you’re doing, which means you must love the training process. The reality is that achieving your singing goals will represent 2% of the time you spend in music while the other 98% percent will be spent getting there.” If you don’t love the process of striving towards your dream of fame, then singing may not be the thing for you.

Know Your Reasons
Singers need to understand the reason behind their desire for fame. We often hear singers say, “I need to make a living doing this, because that will make me worthy.” The most common reasons for wanting fame come from a need for one of the following things:

Validation
Love
Money
Influence
When these desires can be met through other means, a singer can feel satisfied sooner, and look at their goal of fame more objectively. If you are really looking for love, we suggest you go out and serve people. If you serve people they will love you. This means you can feel the satisfaction you crave in a lot less time than it would take to becomes famous.

Money Doesn’t Bring All That You Expect
We warn singers that earning money does not automatically make us feel more worthy. Worthiness seems to be an internal hunger that money helps only superficially. In fact, earning a pay check can sometimes snuff the joy out of singing due to the pressure and politics of the financial arrangement you are under.

Pick A Different Way To Earn Money From Music
There are many ways to make money from music, We found an alternative way to earn a living by teaching people to sing online.

Singers can find many ways to monetize their musical skill
As another example, a singer who organized successful college tours for himself which earned him a fair few pounds per show has now gone on to teach others how to do it. From teaching, to gigging, to corporate events, to product demoing  singers can find many ways to monetize their musical skill.

Fame Could Be Your Destiny
But what if you still want to be famous? What if you are earning money, feeling loved and validated, but fame still beckons? There are certain singers who feel called to use music to create an impact on the world, They want to gain influence so they can make a difference. If you are one of those singers, if you love it enough and are prepared to work harder than anyone you know for it, then we would tell you to go for it!

Constant Training Is A Must
Singers must out-shine many others if they are to achieve their goal of being famous.  They must be immersed in singing constantly by training, rehearsing and performing. You may need to spend 20-30 hours per week training even though you are not generally doing it for pay. Singers are like athletes in that they must commit to constant training, conditioning and technique development.

Have you done any vocal training or rehearsing today?

 

Posted under General, Singing advice
|

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -