Introducing the World’s First Online Degree in Songwriting
Berklee Online is the only fully accredited school in the world that offers an online Bachelor’s degree in Songwriting. Learn how to enhance your craft and write fearlessly with esteemed Berklee instructors who have taught Grammy Award winners such as John Mayer and Gillian Welch.
Develop your voice as a songwriter and learn to write more effectively and efficiently, whether by yourself or in collaboration with other songwriters. In this program, you will learn techniques for writing original songs in a variety of musical styles, in addition to the business skills necessary to achieve your career goals.
Learn techniques for writing original songs in a variety of musical styles—techniques that have propelled Berklee alumni to write number one songs and win Grammy Awards. In this program, you will develop skills to create song structures, harmonies, melodies, and lyrics that support and enhance the ideas that you want to express. Through listening and analysis, you will be able to recognize and discuss quality elements in musical and lyrical structures. You will learn arranging techniques that support the style and structure of a song with appropriate instrumentation. You will develop your own voice as a songwriter and learn to write more effectively and efficiently, whether by yourself or in collaboration with other songwriters.
Upon graduation, you will have a professional portfolio of original songs to launch your career in the music industry as a songwriter, lyricist, singer/songwriter, arranger, and/or demo/MIDI production worker. The portfolio will demonstrate current practices of songwriters and include lead sheets, lyric sheets, and demo recordings of each of the songs, equivalent in production quality to those typically presented to music publishers, record producers, and record companies by professional songwriters.
Berklee Online will accept up to 60 academic credits earned from an accredited institution, or earned from our certificate programs or individual courses.
In this program, you will:
- learn tools for writing songs across a variety of musical styles
- discover your own unique writing style
- streamline and accelerate your writing process
- learn effective strategies for collaborating with other songwriters, whether in co-writing or team-writing situations
- analyze the harmonic and melodic structures of songs in a variety of contemporary and traditional styles
use structures, harmonies, and melodies to support and enhance the emotional intent of your song lyrics
arrange songs in a variety of musical styles for ensembles of varying size and instrumentation
- connect with and create a memorable experience for your audience in each song you write
- create professional quality recordings of songs using a digital audio workstation
- create a professional portfolio of original songs that will help you launch your career as a songwriter, lyricist, singer/songwriter, arranger, staff writer, or demo/MIDI production worker